Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Just when you thought it was safe to get out of the water...

Life has a funny way of sneaking up and depriving us of sleep and resources.  Such has been the circumstances of mine over the course of the last week.  In my determination to forge ahead in an undertaking that has been years in the making, I discovered that Murphy's Law truly applies.

In 2007 I purchased an very unlikely car, a Datsun LB110 1200 Coupe.  The lines of the car are true early '70s Japanese and yet not over exaggerated as they became by 1974.  It is simple, spartan and yet so full of potential.   It would appear the designer had the Chevrolet Nova on his mind when he set out to design this body, but when seeing a full-sized American squish into it, maybe he had circus clowns as inspiration.  Needless to say, for a paltry sum I purchased the car and drove it for about a month.

After a month of driving the car it became clear the engine miss was not going to magically disappear, so I decided to investigate further.  My discovery showed that I was running around on a three cylinder and not the four the car was endowed with initially. I tore the motor apart and then the car sat for lack of funds.

It taunted me.  For years it would stalk me.  Every time I would see a part that could be used on it I would hoard it away for the unlikely future of glory.  Then the great day came and I began to get serious about its future.

I'm about half way into the project now, so no turning back.  My daily driven Datsun 720 4x4 truck has been my favorite vehicle since I bought it at age 15.  I mourn when it has problems and does not run.  And so, while I work on another, perhaps my truck feels a bit cheated and jealous.  On a very inconvenient Tuesday afternoon a few weeks ago I was returning home when I heard a noise.  This did not sound like the noise of peace and tranquility, nor was it the sound of raw horsepower.  It was the sound of death and self-destruction. Sparing the details for another time, my truck decided it was high time it got some attention.

So what is the moral to this story?  Don't cheat, especially on your favorite car, for it will hurt you where it counts - your wallet and your spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment