Saturday, May 21, 2011

The battle is half the battle...

This week has been characterized by the continuing war of man versus machine.  An epitaph to these efforts might read:

"In the beginning, there was only junk; a few scraps of metal, a roll of unusually thin electrical tape and some zip ties.  Somehow he made it something and the ensuing profanity and work of wrench throwing wrought a great work"


As many know I have been working on my '72 Datsun 1200 for the last 2 months.  Last week my '82 Datsun 720 went suicidal and has not ran since.  I began to overreact at first - I NEED a motor!  I started coming up with a plan to get the truck on the road as soon as possible.  Then it hit me, soft at first, but like a ton of bricks when the realization really set in.  "Your truck doesn't need just a motor.  It needs a new rear axle, a set of brake pads and rotors, the front suspension rebuilt, and etc."  I was sunk.  Months of deferred maintenance had caught up.  Robbing Peter to pay Paul had resulted in Peter calling the cops and I getting proverbially beaten by a cop with an agenda.

"Alright," I thought, " I'll get back to work on the 1200 and finish that first, then I'll treat my truck to some loving care."  Peace came with that thought.  Also with that thought came the need to finish a few other outstanding favors I have out and need time to fulfill.  With some new momentum I go back up and went to battle.

"Patrick always bit off more than he could chew, but if given time to do so he could probably eat his own food and then your leftovers too."


So it goes on, the epic battle each man wages with his foe.  An epic saga of man versus machine.  On the one hand, the machines in their 'transformer-esque' surroundings. On the other, emerging from the smoke and fire stands one man bathed in sweat, wrench in one hand, hammer of death in the other. They wage war as the machines raise up and fight against the mechanic who with sweeping, heroic movements causes them to succumb to his every whim...

On the other hand maybe it is just going to be a few long nights and some trying times. The reward will be to drive these creations and enjoy them.  Someone once got on my case about my truck when it broke down the last time and said that it was a reflection of what a mechanic I am.  I guess that is true though, I'm not perfect, nor can I expect that an imperfect individual could produce something immune to abuse and wear.  If I were, I would certainly not be among you at this present time. Perhaps it really is as my fortune cookie said today, "You may lose the small ones but win the big ones."

No comments:

Post a Comment